Piazza is an online platform that facilitates interaction among students as an alternative to Blackboard discussion boards. It started as a way to help students who were stuck on homework problems get unstuck with the help of their classmates, TAs, and professors. Piazza is also FERPA-compliant.
Over time, with valuable feedback from thousands of instructors, the product has evolved to become a centralized place for instructors to conduct all class related communication:
- Answer students’ questions once for all students to see
- Students engage with classmates in online discussion
- Post class related announcements
- Post class files, resources and the class syllabus
- Conduct polls to get a sense of where students stand
- Receive/send private messages from/to students on more sensitive subject matters
Piazza also supports LaTeX for equation rendering and has code block styles. There is also a rich text editor that allows for embeding media such as image and videos.
Piazza works seamlessly with Blackboard. Read this guide to add Piazza to your course site.